Marching Into a Different Life

by Lucy M. Pritchett

Amy Acklin is associate managing director of  bands together with managing director of the Cardinal Marching Band at the University of Louisville.

When you lot withdraw heed the telephone outcry upwards to march to the musical rhythm out of your ain drummer, you lot mightiness desire to accept heed. It could only last a turning signal inwards your life.

It was for Amy Acklin, 39, associate managing director of bands together with managing director of the Cardinal Marching Band at the University of Louisville. How did she come upwards to last inwards accuse of directing 200 marching ring members at the university’s football game together with bowl games?

“I knew inwards college I wanted to learn music to college-age students,” says this UofL graduate. She holds bachelor’s together with master’s inwards music degrees inwards conducting from UofL together with a Ph. D. inwards music pedagogy from Florida State University.

In 2009, she arrived dorsum at her alma mater every bit assistant managing director of bands together with assistant professor of music pedagogy later on teaching music together with leading marching bands inwards California populace schools for half dozen years. After she had spent ii years hither teaching, UofL held a national search for individual to Pb the marching band, together with she applied.

Amy's selection to follow her instincts had a positive demeanour upon on her career.

“I was on a tenure rail alongside the university, but the marching ring position was non-tenure,” Amy says. “The position was offered alongside a three-year renewable contract. I would last giving upwards the safety of possible tenure if I got the job.

“I was meaning alongside our showtime nestling at the time, together with I knew inwards my gut that if I was going to last a working mom, I had improve last doing what I felt I was called to produce alongside my life. It was the position itself that I was energized to teach.”

Amy directs 200 marching ring members at the university's football game together with bowl games.

After multiple interviews together with an audition, Amy was selected for the job. As it turns out, Amy says that Shirley Willihnganz, provost at the time, made the determination non to accept tenure away from her.

So, fifty-fifty though Amy boldly made the determination to apply for a labor she knew she would beloved over staying where she was for labor security, it turns out that she got both.

Her passion for teaching music fuels Amy's motivation inwards the job. 

You tin give the axe read hither virtually the history of the university’s marching ring together with respect the schedule of its upcoming performances.

Trumpets together with tubas together with drums, oh my!
Sumber http://www.todayswomannow.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post