How I Deal alongside My Disease Without Medications

By Mary Ellen Bianco


Kathy McDonald has learned how to alive a character life inward spite of  her illness. Photos yesteryear Patti Hartog


Kathy’s symptoms began alongside numbness inward her feet that gradually moved upward to her knees. “I would walk a 12-minute mile, together with I could experience a buzzing inward my legs,” she says. After an initial misdiagnosis,


it took 6 months of inquiry together with MD visits, a spinal tap, together with an MRI that showed several encephalon lesions to confirm that she had multiple sclerosis, which is a chronic, unpredictable illness of the key nervous system.

“My journeying through the concluding xviii years has been trying to figure out what to create to non acquire worse,” Kathy, forthwith 64, says. “It’s a thing of lifestyle choices versus medication for me.”

Kathy McDonald has an active lifestyle that includes kayaking, snowfall skiing alongside her grandchildren, together with walking. She together with her hubby Larry, the parents of 3 children, alive inward Greenville, Indiana. The Louisville native is retired from a successful 23-year career inward sales.


“My message to anyone beingness diagnosed alongside MS is to brand educated decisions inward your course of teaching of handling yesteryear a physician you lot trust,” Kathy says.

Since the sensory surface area of Kathy’s encephalon is affected yesteryear MS, her primary symptoms guide maintain included numbness inward her feet, fingertips together with lips. She’s also had hearing together with vision distortions together with vibrations, shortness of breath, swelling of her legs together with ankles, increased urination, constipation, together with shocking sensations inward her legs.

When the encephalon lesions started to progress, Kathy had intravenous steroid treatments at the infirmary to trim inflammation. She kept a unopen oculus on her symptoms together with waited 3 years earlier she started taking medicine.

She began alongside daily injections of Copaxone, but stopped when her muscles started to atrophy. “My neurologist prescribed Avonex (interferon beta 1a), together with I had weekly injections from 2002 to 2008,” she says.

In 2010, Kathy had surgical operation to take a majority inward her colon. Her manlike individual bring upward had a history of colon cancer, together with Kathy was fortunate that the majority wasn’t cancerous. “After anesthesia, my liver enzymes were high,” she says. “I had to remainder together with accept a suspension from the Avanex.”

Kathy used a volume most anti-inflammatory diets: Meals that Heal Inflammation: Embrace Healthy Living together with Eliminate Pain, One Meal at a Time yesteryear Julie Daniluk  


Three years ago, Kathy saw a local internist who uses a holistic approach to wellness treatments. Tests showed that she is highly allergic to eggs together with also has sensitivities to dairy, gluten together with rye. “After consultations alongside a nurse practitioner together with a dietician, I started eating natural, laid upward clean foods such equally fruit, salads, together with vegetables,” Kathy says. “Hopefully it volition proceed to work, but if I had unopen to actually bad symptoms, I would acquire dorsum on medication.”

Daily vitamin together with mineral supplements are included inward Kathy’s regimen, equally good equally exercising, trying to acquire 6 to viii hours of slumber each night, together with avoiding stress, which exacerbates her symptoms. “I focus on prayer together with displace to avoid worry, which is a negative,” she says. “I don’t fright — a lot of it is also my mental together with spiritual attitude.”

She exercises for i lx minutes a day. 


Fatigue is a challenging symptom for Kathy, who enjoys spending fourth dimension alongside her family, including her 5 grandchildren. She also volunteers at church building together with inward community activities. “I’m rattling grateful to God that I tin help,” Kathy says. “The MS has non progressed to making me debilitated.

“I’ve but chosen non to hold out a victim,” she continues. “The acronym JOY, which stands for Jesus, Others, Yourself, is much ameliorate than temporary happiness together with has served me good through life choices. Things tin scope inward an instant, together with hence I focus on today.”

Kathy does a combination of exercises which include using an practise video, her stationary bike, lifting weights together with walking.

Sumber http://www.todayswomannow.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post