My Work Tells Your Life Story

By Brigid Morrissey


Izzi had no doubts most pursuing a career every bit a tattoo artist. Photos past times Melissa Donald


Izzi Echo gravitated toward tattoos from a immature age. Her dad was a biker too a hippie, too he is covered alongside them. “I would draw the lines on his arm too wonder how it worked,” she says.

Some kids dream of beingness an astronaut or a professional person athlete when they grow up, but non Izzi Echo.



She straightaway is a tattoo creative someone at her ain studio, Blackout Studios, roughly UofL. “I dearest what I do,” she says. “I experience similar I was seat on this the world to exercise this.” And alongside a advert similar hers, how could you lot await conformity?

A human foot cover-up for a client. "She wanted fancy gemstones too actually loves henna designs, then I visit I would contain both."


Of course, Izzi Echo isn’t her existent name. H5N1 dandy at church building military camp in i lawsuit commented, “You don’t facial expression similar a Hallii (which, past times the way, way “The Patient One.”), you lot facial expression similar an Izzi.” And The Patient One embraced her novel name. Several years later, her best friend solidified Izzi’s persona alongside a unmarried comment: “As much every bit people beak most you, you lot should modify your terminal advert to Echo.”

Izzi created to a greater extent than than only a novel icon growing up. She proficient all kinds of art: drawing, painting, sculpting, playing pianoforte too flute, gymnastics, belly dancing, ballet, too tap dancing. Even alongside her hectic schedule, Izzi graduated high schoolhouse early on at historic menstruum sixteen too was on rails for pre-law.

"I dearest doing tattoos of eyes, because for me, unopen attending to item is what makes it fun. I dearest photograph realism too trying to brand something every bit tangible every bit possible."


Call it divine intervention, telephone telephone it personal choice. Call it every bit Izzi deciding to hold out “The Patient One” most her career decision, but she decided to forego that path too carve a novel one.

She got her starting fourth dimension inward tattooing at Uncle Bob’s Tattoos inward Clarksville through a friend who worked at that topographic point at the time. Izzi earned an apprenticeship when she was 17. “I am eternally grateful for my mentor,” Izzi says. “He saw potential inward me inward spite of beingness inward a male-dominated industry.”

Perfectionism is at the pump of Izzi's operate which tin become through 7-12 revisions. 


Eyes too skulls are her favorite images to ink. Covering upwardly tattoos is also i of her specialties. “Tattooing is a shape of therapy,” she says. “Fixing mistakes — it’s a metaphor for life.”

Izzi’s operate eventually caught the attending of the casting crew of the reality TV exhibit Best Ink. She was hesitant but decided to bring together the cast of flavor three. “I thought, ‘I tin either become exercise this, or I tin rest inward my box too hold out mediocre,” she says.

A stuff gallery fashion canvas. "The whole visit behind this was that nosotros are all saltation to specific people inward our lives past times this framework of invisible interlocking strings…we honor i some other in i lawsuit again too in i lawsuit again inward dissimilar lives."


Izzi didn’t earn the plow over spot, but says the exhibit was great for self-promotion. She volition hold out showcasing her operate through to a greater extent than events this year, including the Cleveland Tattoo Arts Convention terminal calendar month inward Ohio. This volition also hold out her tertiary twelvemonth of participating inward the Louisville Tattoo Arts Convention that volition direct maintain house Apr 1-3, where tattoo enthusiasts tin run into TV personalities too artists move from all over the public to tattoo inward their booths too sell artwork.

“I depict my operate every bit a transient evanescence,” Izzi says. “My tattoos volition decay over time, too they volition expire alongside you. They tell your life story. It’s a timeless art.”

Izzi looks frontwards to displaying her operate at diverse venues. 

Sumber http://www.todayswomannow.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post