Her Turning Point: Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 Simple Decision Can Change Your Life

By Lucy M. Pritchett

Shanna learned most the unpredictability of life afterwards i run a peril encounter. Photos past times Patti Hartog

When person tells you lot her turning signal came during a auto ride, you lot mightiness saltation to the conclusion that in that place had been roughly form of tragic accident that caused a chain reaction of events. But I was happy to acquire that Shanna Ward’s turning signal had no such even behind it.

Instead, the even goes that every bit a senior at the University of Louisville majoring inwards political science, Shanna ended upward sharing a ride to Frankfort on her foremost twenty-four lx minutes catamenia in that place every bit a legislative intern. The driver was Carol Butler, who thence served every bit managing director of exceptional events as well as projects at the university. The upshot of their conversation during that auto ride to the Capitol was that Shanna accepted an intern task inwards Carol’s department.

Goodbye to a life inwards politics; howdy to the the world of lawsuit planning.




“I had been on ground teams inwards high school, as well as I intend that lay the stance inwards my caput that I wanted a career inwards politics,” Shanna says. “Once I started working alongside Carol, I actually got the põrnikas for planning big events as well as exceptional functions, as well as I realized that I was amend at that than politics. I worked on events at UofL such every bit the starting fourth dimension ceremonies as well as the Grawemeyer Awards. It was fun to endure on the backside as well as construct something that would brand an impression on people as well as that they enjoyed.”

After graduation, Shanna, right away 39, interned alongside Kentucky Derby Festival for 2 years as well as thence was offered a full-time seat every bit an lawsuit manager.

After discovering her truthful talent, Shanna didn't intend twice most abandoning a career inwards politics. 


Although she has worked on many events during her fourth dimension alongside the Festival, i of her favorites is the Ford Motor Company Kentucky Derby Festival Spelling Bee. (Be certain to read our even on Shanna as well as this year’s winner inwards the Apr impress number of Today’s Woman.)

“These kids come upward from all over Kentucky as well as Southern Indiana,” Shanna says. “They are amazing. The Spelling Bee is opened upward to students inwards 4th through 8th grades. The ones who acquire far to this lawsuit stand upward for their domicile counties. It is a gratis event, as well as nosotros render all the written report guide materials to the students.

“My task is to communicate alongside the the schoolhouse coordinators, organize the materials, brand arrangements for the judges, as well as write the script for the primary of ceremonies, addition attend the lawsuit of course.”

Working alongside the Kentucky Derby Festival has given Shanna an chance to prepare rigid connections alongside the people she meets inwards her job.  


The twenty-four lx minutes catamenia of the Spelling Bee, Shanna plant alongside the students to lay them at ease. “I pretty much human activeness every bit a cheerleader to the kids. This tin endure stressful for them. I allow them know that whatever the upshot of the competition, ‘You are already winners.’”

When Shanna looks dorsum at the start of her career — a auto ride — she notes, “Sometimes the simplest determination turns out to endure the i to alter your class inwards life. It’s non e'er the big moments that brand for change. The niggling decisions tin possess got a big impact, too.”

This year’s Spelling Bee volition endure held on March v at 11am inwards the Bomhard Theater, Kentucky Center for the Arts. The lawsuit is gratis as well as opened upward to the public.
Sumber http://www.todayswomannow.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post